Active Mold Packaging
RF Antenna Designs for integrated circuits (IC) and System-in-Packages (SiP)
RF applications are diverse and demanding. They are used in a wide range of industries, from consumer electronics, automotive and industrial manufacturing, to aerospace and medical.
Active Mold Packaging (AMP) is capable of integrating planar antennas in and on the transmit and receive module, i.e. the transceiver module, as a so-called Antenna-on/in-Package (AoP/ AiP). The situation is different for stamped metal or flex and PCB antennas. As separate antenna modules, these must first be connected to the transceiver module. This detour is not necessary with AMP. By integrating the antenna into the transceiver module, path lengths are shortened and thus the RF characteristics are positively influenced. The simple and direct packaging technology increases the production efficiency as well as the lifetime of the planar antenna modules.
AMP is offering a selection of benefits, when compared to traditional package integrated antenna modules.
- Covers a wide range of RF applications such as mmWave antennas, waveguides and striplines.
- All globally identified and allocated 5G and future 6G frequency bands are served.
- Additional RF requirements, such as EMC shielding can be easily implemented.
- Alternative to conventional planar antenna technologies
- Antenna- and transceiver-modules combined into a single module, benefitting from shortened interconnect lengths
- Robust and easy antenna to feed-line interconnect
- Full design freedom up to a structure size of 25 µm
- low dk/ low df and high dk/ low df Epoxy Mold Compound formulations available
Active Mold Packaging (AMP) forms the RF component on the Epoxy Mold Compound by making use of three sophisticated processes:
- Granular, tablet and liquid form, AMP ready Epoxy Mold Compound (EMC)
- Selective laser activation of the EMC by laser surface ablation, laser deep grooving/ trenching and TMV laser drilling
- Highly selective and electroless metalisation, of only the laser activated EMC