Conformal and compartment EMI shielding of IC packages and System-in-Packages (SiP)
EMI shielding of complete IC packages or individual areas within a System-in-Package or individual dies inside a Multi-Chip-Module is a very challenging task in terms of equipment investment, process flow, shielding reliability, production yield or design flexibility and size requirement.
AMP is offering a selection of benefits, when compared to PVD sputtering, metal lid soldering or copper paste printing.
- Low equipment investment cost and thus fast amortization
- Equipment can be used for a multitude of other novel packaging applications, like Antenna-on/in-Package, too
- Reliable shielding layer formation on the package's/SiP's sidewalls, no peel-off or flaking
- Simplifies the singulation process, as the EMC has been removed from the dicing streets, for the sidewall activation/ metalization
- Offers the highest resolution and selectivity for conformal and compartment shielding
Active Mold Packaging (AMP) creates a shielding layer by making use of three sophisticated processes:
- Granular or tablet form, specially doped Epoxy Mold Compound (EMC)
- Selective laser activation of the EMC by surface ablation, deep grooving/ trenching and TMV drilling
- Electro-less metalisation, of only the laser activated EMC